The rules for posting are simple!

1. Every Friday post a photo that includes one or more flowers.
2. Please only post photos you have authority to use.
3. Include a link to this blog in your post - http://floralfridayfoto.blogspot.com/
4. Leave the link to your FloralFridayFoto post below on inlinkz.
5. Visit other blogs listed ... comment & enjoy!

When to Post:
inlinkz will be available every Thursday and will remain open until the next Wednesday.

Thursday 30 June 2016

FFF241 - CORAL 'GERANIUM'

We know them as simply 'geraniums'. They are one of the most popular container plants, yet they are not really geraniums at all. Botanically they are Pelargonium. There are true geraniums, the perennial cranesbills, but they look little like the annual plants we commonly call 'geraniums'.

The confusion with the names can be traced back to disagreements between botanists over classification and is of little importance to most gardeners, except for the distinction that perennial cranesbill geraniums will come back each year and zonal geraniums, those now classified as Pelargonium, are topical perennials usually grown as annuals in colder climates. They got the prefix "zonal" because of the markings on their leaves.

Zonal geraniums were discovered in South Africa and if you have a similar, subtropical climate, you can grow them as perennials. This coral pink zonal geranium is Pelargonium x hortorum.  Zonal geraniums are bushy plants, mainly used for containers and bedding. There has been considerable breeding done, particularly for size and abundance and colours of flowers, so there is a good deal of variety. Zonal geraniums start blooming in mid-spring and will repeat bloom until frost. Deadheading the entire flower stalk after the flower fades will encourage more blooms.

Join me for Floral Friday Fotos by linking your flower photos below, and please leave a comment once you have done so.
****If you take part in the meme, please show an active link back to this site on your own blog post!****

19 comments:

  1. I have never seen such a color befor...
    Most beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't see that color in nature as often as I'd like, it reminds me of my mother's lipstick when I was a kid. I be you could get into a snappy Who's On First discussion with a summer help millennial by asking for true geraniums.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like geranium, have a lot in pots. Like the scent of their leaves...

    ReplyDelete
  4. And they come in an ever increasing range of colours.
    Thanks for the info...

    Happy weekend Nick!
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful blossom (muscata=geranium)! So lovely to see it in lots of colors, nuances of red! Greetings and a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have these on our window sills, in pink (similar colour) and red. My mother loves them. Thanks for hosting, dear Nick! Best wishes,
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't see that color in nature as often as I'd like, it reminds me of my mother's lipstick when I was a kid. I be you could get into a snappy Who's On First discussion with a summer help millennial by asking for true geraniums.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, I always plant these in my patio pots for summer! And so many colors!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Informative, interesting, and beautifully photographed, as always. This coral color is one of my particular favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Nick,
    I like the smell of them, but this year there are none of them in may garden. I dont't know why!?!?
    Have a great weekend ... Frauke

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful Color, what I like so much. Great Informations, thanks.
    Have a nice weekend.
    Regards
    Ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  12. Heisann.... they are so lovely and in so many variations, this one is very beautiful! Have a nice weekend ;:OD)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nick, fabulous color. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very pretty colour! Enjoy your weekend, Nick.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Geranium looks very nice, but is totaly useless for the bees, i think.
    Have a nice weekend! Greetings, Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW!! such a lovely presentation. beautiful color and composition !
    Happy weekend Nick.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Interesting! And pretty, of course!

    ReplyDelete